The Ramona Humane Society (RHS) reports our statistics on our website because we feel that transparency is an important part of being a contracted agency. In addition, we want our communities to understand the realities that we face as a shelter and the impact that our citizens can have on increasing adoption and decreasing euthanasia. We also believe early spay/neuter will reduce the number of unwanted animals entering the shelter. RHS is non-profit and an “open admission shelter” for 5 cities. “Open admission shelter” means that we accept all animals from the cities that we serve whether they are aggressive, feral, old, sick, injured or underage.
The Formula for Live Release Percentage:
Live Outcomes divided by all outcomes (including shelter euthanasia) equals Live Release Percentage or Save Rate.
*Owner Requested Euthanasias are not included in the calculation as we do not consider the animal impounded and this procedure is a humane service provided by RHS to the community and it’s animals.
Download a Report
- January 2016
- February 2016
- March 2016
- April 2016
- May 2016
- June 2016
- July 2016
- August 2016
- September 2016
- October 2016
- November 2016
- December 2016
Facts about U.S. Animal Shelters:
- Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
- Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
- Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).
- About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.
- Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.
- Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.
- About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.
We seek to Educate pet owners, and the population at large, about the needs of animals and the importance of responsible pet ownership.